Thursday, August 25, 2011

Arrogance

Arrogance

Arrogance is a trap that has ensnared my thoughts ever since I can remember.  Introspectively I must admit that this is an enormous problem and obstacle in my life and obtaining True understanding.  There are many ways that I have fallen into arrogance and there may be ways or practices I could use to divert myself from embodying arrogance. 

In my own life arrogance has sprung up in many ways, all of which have the same root cause, ignorance.  Most suspect is probably arrogance that comes from intelligence and overconfidence.  I have received compliments since I was a child about how “bright” I was, and how “perceptive” or “intelligent” I also was.  This, while growing the confidence in a child, is an obstacle to overcome as an adult.  When I received such attention from adults and peers alike I began to embody that “intelligence” and desired more.  So I studied hard, read, and quickly came to know many facts.  This, people confused for real intelligence, and thus complimented me more and more. 

The more and more I gained attention through my perceived intelligence, the more and more I became proud of myself.  Confidence lead to achievement, achievement lead to pride, pride lead to arrogance, and arrogance lead to hubris.  This arrogance and hubris lead me to believe that I knew everything, or at least I believed I could discern any truth from any falsehood immediately.  Intellectually, I did understand that I did not know everything, but in my heart, actions, and behavior I showed that I did not truly understand this.

I finally understood what the true nature of arrogance was through another.  He was a great teacher to me, for if it were not for him I would have never taken the time to view my own excessive arrogance.  He was talking to a group of my friends very proudly, and I thought to myself “how arrogant can one person be?”  But, then something clicked and I thought “yeah… but you are just as arrogant, if not more, than he is.” 
   
It is the nature of my ego to assume that I am always correct in my thoughts.  If I thought I was wrong, I would probably change my opinion, however I did not recognize the cloud of ignorance that surrounded my mind.  I never thought I was wrong, but ignorance follows me everywhere, due to the simple limitation of my human condition. 
   
I have thus resolved to understand my own perspective better and how limited it is.  Perhaps I will still not agree with this or that, but I will at least recognize my own limitations and the fact of the matter.  Even if I am correct, and prove myself correct, there is no need to revert to arrogance.  There is no reason to think that I am better than this person or that person, for this reason or that.  I could try to justify my exaggerated sense of self importance with one reason or another, but in the end if I am being completely honest I have to tell my ego that I am no better than this person or that person, and no more important than any other living creature on this earth. 
  
I have come to realize that humility is a great virtue.  Through humility I am able to learn much more than I could have if I were arrogant.  There is an old saying a good teacher of mine used to say: “You can’t fill a glass that is already full.”  And that is how I look at arrogance now, that it only impedes the learning process, and ultimately does nothing but harm my development.  I have been striving to keep myself open, and thus receptive to good teachings.  More importantly I have been trying to let go of that over inflated ego of mine, and recognize that all beings are just as important as me, and contribute just as much to the universe as I do.  I have found that the concept of “Ubuntu” extremely helpful for keeping in mind this basic idea.  “Ubuntu” means “I am what I am because of who we all are.”  So anytime I catch myself being arrogant I remind myself that I have truly done nothing, for without others I would be nothing. 

--Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment